Oakhill Veterinary Centre
https://www.oakhill-vets.com/equine/poisonous-ragwort/
Export date: Tue Aug 16 15:36:44 2022 / +0000 GMT

Poisonous Ragwort




Did you know that Ragwort is poisonous to horses, ponies and donkeys?!

If eaten, the toxins in ragwort can accumulate over time and have the potential to cause irreversible liver damage. Your horse may get just as ill from eating a small amount of ragwort over a long period as it would eating a large quantity in one go.

Signs may include:


  • Lethargy and depression
  • Change in behaviour or appetite
  • Loose droppings
  • Photosensitivity with sunburn developing easily
  • A yellow appearance to gums/around the eyes
  • Significant weight loss

However, there are often no signs until it is too late.

 

For more information on the best way to remove ragwort, please follow the link....

http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-work/welfare/our-campaigns/ragwort-toolkit/toolkit-dealing-with-ragwort-england/ragwort-removal-at-plant-stage 1

Image source: www.bhs.org.uk

If you're concerned that your horse has eaten Ragwort, please contact us.

Links:
  1. http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-work/welfare/our-campaig ns/ragwort-toolkit/toolkit-dealing-with-ragwort-en gland/ragwort-removal-at-plant-stage
Post date: 2019-06-14 14:01:52
Post date GMT: 2019-06-14 14:01:52

Post modified date: 2022-06-21 14:12:04
Post modified date GMT: 2022-06-21 13:12:04

Export date: Tue Aug 16 15:36:44 2022 / +0000 GMT
This page was exported from Oakhill Veterinary Centre [ https://www.oakhill-vets.com ]
Export of Post and Page has been powered by [ Universal Post Manager ] plugin from www.ProfProjects.com