Poisonous Ragwort

Did you know that Ragwort is poisonous to horses, ponies and donkeys?!

If eaten, the toxins in ragwort can accumulate over time and have the potential to cause irreversible liver damage. Your horse may get just as ill from eating a small amount of ragwort over a long period as it would eating a large quantity in one go.

Signs may include:

  • Lethargy and depression
  • Change in behaviour or appetite
  • Loose droppings
  • Photosensitivity with sunburn developing easily
  • A yellow appearance to gums/around the eyes
  • Significant weight loss

However, there are often no signs until it is too late.


For more information on the best way to remove ragwort, please follow the link….


Image source: www.bhs.org.uk

If you’re concerned that your horse has eaten Ragwort, please contact us.


Latest articles