Oakhill Veterinary Centre
Export date: Mon Dec 6 22:53:56 2021 / +0000 GMT

Guidance notes for Clients wishing to take Cats or Dogs to an EU country from GB from 1st January 2021

From 1st January PETS passports issued in the UK are no longer acceptable.

PETS passports issued elsewhere in the EU are still valid but the entries must be signed by an EU approved Official Vet [not a UK vet]. [Worming treatment can be signed by any vet]

An Animal Health Certificate will be needed for each pet [up to 5 on one certificate] for each journey to the EU. Rules are different if more than 5 pets involved.

The dog or cat must arrive in the EU within 10 days of the certificate date.

The dog or cat MUST be accompanied by the owner or the owners representative, or the owner or representative must travel within 5days either side of the pet travel date.

The certificate is acceptable for onward travel within the EU and also for return to GB up to a maximum of 4 months [or expiry of rabies vaccination validity if sooner].

Pets must enter the EU via a designated 'Travelers point of entry' [TPE] – list available at https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu-legislation/non-commercial-non-eu/tpe_en 1

Cats and Dogs must be microchipped or tattooed for identification and Rabies vaccination must be given to cats and dogs over 12weeks old and the pet cannot travel to the EU until 3 weeks after the vaccination. [Some EU member states will not authorise movement until the animal is at least 16weeks old]

For pets previously vaccinated satisfactorily against rabies, the owner must supply evidence to the Vet who is completing the Animal Health Certificate.

The owner will need to sign and certify that the pets are NOT intended for sale or transfer of ownership.

Dogs must be treated for Echinococcus [tapeworm] at least 24hrs and no more than 120hrs prior to arrival back in GB. [except when traveling to/from Northern Ireland, Malta, Ireland and Finland where the tapeworm treatment is required at least 24hrs and no more than 120hrs prior to GOING].

The certification process is complex – please notify us well in advance of your intended travel, and note that certification cannot be issued at the time of the consultation.

For further advice go to: http://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-and-from-great-britain 2

These notes were correct at the time or writing on 05 January 2021, but it is the owners responsibility to check that this advice is still correct at the time of intended travel.

  1. https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/pet-movement/eu- legislation/non-commercial-non-eu/tpe_en
  2. http://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-and-from- great-britain
Post date: 2021-01-07 10:36:46
Post date GMT: 2021-01-07 10:36:46

Post modified date: 2021-01-08 11:01:43
Post modified date GMT: 2021-01-08 11:01:43

Export date: Mon Dec 6 22:53:56 2021 / +0000 GMT
This page was exported from Oakhill Veterinary Centre [ https://www.oakhill-vets.com ]
Export of Post and Page has been powered by [ Universal Post Manager ] plugin from www.ProfProjects.com