• Goosnargh: 01772 861300 | Conway Drive: 01772 718774
  • Watling Street Road: 01772 700671 | Kirkham: 01772 681992

BBQ dangers for pets

BBQ Dangers for pets

BBQ dangers for pets

Although they are great summer social events for us humans, BBQs pose dangers for pets.

Below are some hazards and tips to help keep your pets safe at the BBQ…..

 

  • Keep your pet away from the BBQ pets could sustain burns from jumping up/on a hot BBQ.

     

  • Hot food swallowed whole can cause serious issues such as stomach ulcers.

     

  • Kebab skewers, ribs, bones and corn on the cob can splinter, cause serious obstruction or puncture the digestive tract if ingested.

     

  • Party food is not for pets. Foods high in fat can cause inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) which can be very serious, and sometimes even fatal. Also, remember that onions (and members of the onion family) are toxic to dogs.

     

  • Store rubbish out of pet’s reach. Pets can be good at sniffing out tasty leftovers. If covered in grease or other food leftovers, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, matches can be very dangerous if your pet gets hold of them.

     

  • Alcoholic drinks should be kept out of pets reach.

     

  • If you’re planning to spruce up your garden for the occasion, make sure you know which plants are poisonous to your pet.

     

  • Parties can be a busy time with visiting friends, so make sure your pet doesn’t make an escape in the commotion.

If your pet suffers burns or consumes something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately. Click here for our branch contact details and opening times.

 



 

Latest News